Friday, September 13, 2013

Darker and Darker

Headed over to the Commons after work today for my run. The rain had stopped but it was muggy and dreary. I texted Ryan, telling him I wasn't feeling all that enthused and that I was headed out for somewhere between 7 and 10. He wrote back to go for the 10. I shrugged and said to myself, OK, fine, I'll go for 10. Sometimes I just need someone to make my mind up for me ;) So I picked up my handheld and headed out onto the trails. My legs were quickly soaked from the encroaching brush on the deer trails out near the end of the Commons, and my shirt was soon wet with sweat. As I hit the dirt road loop out in Pennelville, a bit of sun was poking through the clouds out over the ocean, but a very dark bank of clouds had rolled in over the Commons and greater Brunswick. Well, I was headed out to the ocean anyway :-) Turned onto the very wet, grassy trails at Coleman Farm and followed them down to the salt water marsh, stopping to take in the vista (lovely!) and stretch my increasingly tight hip/butt (grrrr....)

Twisty singletrack back along the marsh edge, with a Great Blue Heron fly-over, and then back onto the wet grass - squish squish - only to notice that the clouds were looking more and more angry back the way I was headed. Sweat was dripping from my hat, so it really didn't matter. I was already wet. But I wondered if I could outrun the storm.... Well, no luck there. With 2 miles to go, the heavens opened and then I was thoroughly soaked :) But I got in those 10 miles, though.

Well, it might have been a bit slow, and I'm sort of annoyed/pissed/nervous about my right hip/butt, but I guess I didn't really think I'd get through all my training without some niggling, although that sure would have been nice. Thankfully I had already scheduled an appointment with Dr. Jamie for next week, and you can bet I'll be rolling and sticking and icing like mad the next few days. Hopefully it will help.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Good going D! 10 it be!