Sunday, September 29, 2013

Last Day of Vacation

*Sigh* Always tough when you realize that vacation is almost over and it's time to head back to reality! But before we do that, we had one last full day of fun down in NC.

Despite the fact that I really didn't want to, I got up early and was out the door around 7:10. I decided to just run the same 8 mile loop as I had run yesterday, if only because I could just do it and not have to think about how I was going to get the mileage in by wandering around aimlessly. The first two miles were slow, and I sure felt creaky, but nothing hurt, and I was able to loosen up and pick up the pace as I ran along. I was surprised to find I actually felt pretty decent, and managed to run the 8 miles in 1:15.

It was a lovely morning, cool and sunny, and as is always the case down here, there is a lot to see. With the mix of golf course, ponds, pine forests, grassy areas and the river, it's the perfect area for bird watching, and there are typically a few other creatures wandering around as well. This morning I spooked a male deer, his antlers still small, at the edge of the street, and then down along the path to the River Lodge, scared up a mother deer and her two fawn. Was scared myself but a Great Blue Heron soaring out of his roost in the tree along one of the ponds, croaking his annoyance at my presence. Saw another heron soaring overhead and a Great Egret as well. A bunny jumped across the path, and the bright red cardinals and mockingbirds chattered away in the brush. The pair of hummingbirds who reside in my parent's yard were out early, enjoying the purple flowers of the big mexican sage bush, and numerous butterflies flitted about. Little green lizards lounge in the sun on the porch railings and yesterday we saw two green tree frogs there too!

I was greeted by pancakes upon my return - yum! - and then we rushed about, getting ready to head to the beach. Still windy today, but not quite as cold, and Sam had a lot of fun digging in the sand with the big purple shovel and looking for minnows in the surf with her net. And of course, we stopped at Boombalatti's for a post-beach treat - can't miss their delicious ice cream!

All in all, a great last day of vacation. Many thanks to my parents for having us! We all had a great time!!

Sam building her "house"

Busy digging

Just waiting for the minnows to jump into the net :-)

Cupcakes at the beach!

Keeping Sam occupied on the way home - she wrote out all of our names :-) My smart little girl!

No comments: