Saturday, September 28, 2013

Solo Marathon

OK. Let's face it. 26.2 miles is a long way to run. Meaning anything beyond that is a really long way to run :-) (Insert, what was I thinking bubble here!!) And 26.2 miles and 4:24 (total time including stops) is a really long time to run alone. I really could have used some company today, but since I'm in NC and the partner I was hoping would be running with me is a bit derailed at the moment with a tight achilles :(, I was on my own. I had planned to get out at 7:00 but just as I was opening the front door, the door to Sam's room opened. It's as if she has some sort of telepathy that I'm about the go out and run, since that's exactly what happened yesterday too :-) So I got some hugs and sat for a bit with her before heading out around 7:15, which meant hopefully plenty of time to get home for lunch.

The plan was to run 3 ~8 mile loops with an add-on of 2 miles, give or take, to make 26 miles. I tried really hard to run as easily as I could in that first loop, but it was nice and cool, the roads are flat and what can I say, it was early in the run and I felt good. I don't *think* I was going too fast, but it's hard to know. Those first miles went by the quickest and easiest for sure, with just one potty stop at the bathroom at the River Lodge, and soon I was back to the house with the Garmin reading 7.88 miles. Ryan and Sam had set up an awesome aid station for me on the front steps, and were there to cheer me in. Made me smile :-) I'm very lucky!

Aid station all set up!

My awesome "Go Mommy" sign - I am so lucky!

Sam running me out of the aid station

Sam ran me down the driveway, and then just like that I was alone again. I decided to add on the additional miles in this second loop, thinking it would be easier mentally to do that than add them in on the 3rd lap when I was sure to be more tired and possibly hurting. Luckily the hip held up very well all morning, with only a few twinges here and there. I did a bit of googling, and found the pigeon pose and half lotus pose, both of which really have helped stretch out the outside of my leg/hip/butt the past few days. Whatever would we do without the internet? ;) In any event, the second lap went pretty well and the pace held fairly steady. I ran the loop the opposite direction as the first, with a 2.5 mile out-and-back added on out into the Bluffs. I did however, make a blunder on this loop. I didn't have my pack, only my small handheld, meaning I was stuffing my fuel into my pockets. I neglected to remember that I would be out for longer the 2nd time around with the add-on miles, and only brought one gu and one pack of chews. I've been trying to eat something every 30 minutes, so I should have had one more something. Which meant that by the time I got back to the house, I had missed one of my 30-minute fuelings and was well on my way to going an hour without anything to eat. I stopped and had a few grapes, some Gatorade and a few animal crackers, and headed back out. At almost 3 hours in, my stomach was feeling a bit wonky and I was starting to feel the miles. I really wished I had someone to run with.

Luckily, I have the best crew ever and they took out the golf cart and careened through the community, meeting up with me a number of times on the last loop. It was really nice to look up and see them at mile 19+, at 22 and then around mile 24. I needed it. I did stop at the River Lodge and take a bio break (weird, so many miles in) but I was having trouble eating (story of my long run life) and only managed a few extra grapes and a few chews between the house and mile 22 before accepting fueling defeat.

I was slowing. And I really wanted to be done. Did I really need to do 26 miles? I willed myself past the turn-off that would have taken me to my parent's house at mile 23 by simply walking and telling myself I was just out for a walk :-) and just kept going. The miles were feeling painfully slow, and while I won't tell you how much slower the final 7 miles were, let's just say I didn't quite keep on pace. I also willed myself past the turn-off at the end of the first pond along the berm, but when I saw the golf cart up ahead, I did ask Ryan if I could stop. He asked me if anything was hurting, and since the honest answer was no, except that my stomach didn't feel good, that's what I said. So, of course, he said no back ;) and I just sort of shrugged and continued on. Guess I knew the answer to that one!

When the Garmin finally beeped 25 miles, I told myself I was just being ridiculous and it wasn't helping me to go slowly. Just pick it up, Danielle! And I did, although pace was certainly relative at that point. Ha. When I got to the driveway at my parent's house, I realized I had miscalculated ever so slightly and still had 0.1 miles to go to get to a full marathon. Ryan was there, and I believe I said I'd be da*ned if I wasn't going to do that extra 0.1 miles to get to a f*&#!ing marathon! before continuing past the house and stopping just as the distance turned 26.2. There. I did it.

OK, so it wasn't entirely pretty. But despite my mind's desire to stop (many times), I kept going. I ran a marathon as a training run. Alone (with some awesome crew help, of course). Never thought I'd run a marathon as a training run! Oh, the places we go. So, I'm banking this for Stonecat. Of course, despite that, do I still think it's crazy and scary and unreal that I'll be lining up to run 50 miles in a month? You better believe it! But you can't know if you don't try.

I didn't have much appetite for lunch, but rallied for the early birthday celebration that followed. Never pass up cupcakes and ice cream :-)

Sam and Neenie keeping busy while I'm out running

These really need more sprinkles!

Almost 4!!!

Lots of candles to blow out :-)

1 comment:

Annie said...

cute and Bada$$ in the same post..love it!